Monday, June 8, 2009

Auto Parts

I am one who gripes often about crappy service at stores. However, my faith was restored, at least a little bit, this weekend.

My Beetle had the CEL (Check Engine Light) come on a couple of weeks ago. I stopped at the Advance Auto Parts store on Bay Road, in Saginaw and they used their reader to check it for me. They said the reader code P1296 which translated to Multi faults - bank 2 with low side shorts -- huh? Turns out that description is for a Ford. I later looked up the code in my Bentley's manual and it was Cooling System Malfunction. It cleared itself a day or two later and I quit worrying about it.

This week the CEL came on again. I called around our local area to see if any of the auto parts stores had a reader they could use to check my car with. There was one store, Freeland Auto Parts, nearby, but I couldn't remember the name to call, so decided to stop by in person. They were closing as I pulled in, but held the door for me. When I asked about an engine code reader, the guy reached behind their counter, handed me a reader, and told me to drop it off when I was done with it to the address on the back.

To say the least, I was amazed and surprised. I asked if he needed my name or anything and he offered his hand, saying "I'm Paul, what's yours?" Then he said just drop it off in the morning. Wow. I'm impressed and hope I can steer some business his way. If you need some car part or tool, check these folks out. Service like that deserves to be rewarded. By the way, it was the same code again. I guess I'm off to the mechanic to have it checked out. From a quick web review it seems like it's probably a temperature sensor that has failed - yet another somewhat well known VW engine problem.

Freeland Auto Parts Inc (989) 695-5467, 1060 E Washington Rd, Freeland, MI 48623

Advance Auto Parts (989) 249-1319 2119 Bay St, Saginaw, MI 48602


Never happy...

After telling this story a couple of times, some folks weren't too happy that Paul didn't offer to actually use the reader himself to read my car's error codes and instead just handed me the reader. First, I should add that when I pulled up to the store, I wasn't driving the car that needed the reading and second Paul did give me a quick how-to-do of the reader. However, for any of you who have even seen a reader used, you know it's pretty simple -- even for someone as simple-minded as I am.

As anyone who reads my blogs knows, I'm not usually too happy with service. I'm also surprised that so many listening to this story seem somewhat disappointed in the result. For those, I want to repeat here, I am extremely happy with this episode at Freeland Auto Parts. Thanks Paul, I wish more stores were like you.

And actually, Freeland has several stores like this. There's a bird feed supply store that is equally as friendly and helpful. They have a good selection of bird feed, feeders, house, etc. and they know what their birds. They've even pointed me towards other places that supply bird seed. Freeland seems to breed friendly stores

The Birdhouse, 282 S Main St. Freeland, MI 48623-8937, 989.695.5958

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home